:Introducing the TextEvaluator™ tool
A more comprehensive solution to measure text complexity
Aligning text to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) is a real and evolving challenge. Like never before, educators and publishers are feeling the pressure to find tools that more accurately analyze text complexity.
At ETS, we faced that challenge as well. As the volume of assessment work increased at ETS, we realized we needed an automated tool as reliable as our human raters. Since we couldn’t find anything on the market that met our standard for quality, we developed the TextEvaluator™ tool for our own use. Now, we’re making this tool available to you — our education and publishing partners.
Backed by more than 10 years of extensive research, the TextEvaluator tool:
- Evaluates against eight dimensions of text complexity and accounts for differences in genres
- Utilizes patented Natural Language Processing methodologies and was built using the latest artificial intelligence technology
- Outputs score reports and recommendations aligned to the CCSS
- Provides unbiased feedback about the complexity levels of text (including scores and grade-level classifications) and provides feedback on the drivers of text complexity
The scientists and the science behind the TextEvaluator tool
ETS Principal Research Scientist Kathleen Sheehan designed the TextEvaluator model around four characteristically different types of cognitive processes that are:
- involved in word recognition and decoding
- associated with translating collections of words into meaningful propositions
- associated with inferring interrelationships across propositions
- associated with developing a more complete, more integrated mental representation of a text
Explore the links below to learn more about the processes mentioned above and the research behind the TextEvaluator tool:
- Video: Making Sure Our Students Are Reading Appropriately Challenging Texts: Using Automated Tools to Predict Text Difficulty
- Report: Differences in Text Structure and Its Implications for Assessment of Struggling Readers
- Report: Lexical Tightness and Text Complexity
- Report: A Two-Stage Approach for Generating Unbiased Estimates of Text Complexity
- Report: When Do Standard Approaches for Measuring Vocabulary Difficulty, Syntactic Complexity and Referential Cohesion Yield Biased Estimates of Text Difficulty?
- Report: 玩彩网在线客服
Contact us today
For a free demonstration or additional information about the TextEvaluator tool, email us at [email protected].